Beethoven Piano Sonata, nr.1 - nr.14 (Senza Misura) from Samson Young on Vimeo.
This is an sound and light installation which using breadboard, circuits, jumper wires, light-emitting diodes and speakers. The whole installation contains 14 devices, each of which is playing the tempo of a single movement of Beethoven's early piano sonatas.
Question:
1. Instead of using sound and light, do you think other visual elements could be applied to this project?
2. Since your project is about the historical development of the contemporary music, do you think general public can understand your thought behind this project? If not, in what way do you think they can benefit from this project?
This group has made a lot of research as well as putting lots of videos in their blog, it really helps me to know this artist more.
回覆刪除Young as I know from the blog, he is a music composer majoring in using acoustic instrument whereas to produce experimental and electronic kinds of sounds. What makes him so different from other ordinary composers is that he will use also visual images or animations to illustrate the world and the meaning of his music.
There are some artists as I know who are doing the contrary (I had watched this kind of performance in the civil hall before); they play with visual effects or even performing light shows while playing music behind. Are Young and those artists the same?
In my opinion, I think visual images are good to use as story tellers that help audiences to easily capture the meaning behind by seeing; whereas music and sounds are good to use as sensation illustrators that help audiences to sense the emotions and feelings. From Young’s works, I find most of his visual aids are lights only, so by what mean, do they help the audiences to understand the music more?